Friday 25 September 2009

Weekend Workshop #17

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well and enjoying your week. We have a great tutorial from Debbi this week. If you would like to have one of your tutorials here on PFP for everyone to see or would like to do one especially for us, we are opening it up to everyone, so if you feel like you have something to share please email me :)
We also have a big thank you to Sarah B and Caroline for being such fabulous guests. Look out on Tuesday for our next 2 guests :)
******************
We know how much storage for our pens is a problem, well Ida has found some fabulous storage at Camilla’s blog, Sue and myself (Gina) could not wait to have a go so here is my new storage
25092009687
Here is a closer look :)
25092009692
Now all you need is a
I must say it took me a while to do it and I have to thank Sue for the super idea of using Debbi’s PDF colour chart, but it is soooooo worth it, they look fabulous and stick out just enough to make them easy to get and put back.
Hugs Gina xxx
******************
I think almost everyone has at least one animal stamp in their collection and so we have decided to do a series of tutorials on colouring animals with promarkers. I thought I'd start with a horse as its a popular theme, especially with little girls. I love this image; Charlotte's Horse from Whiff of Joy, designed by Alison Acton. Although its a cartoony type image it's also realistic in form and shape.
First things first, the image is stamped onto IQ Smooth 160 g/m2 with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. And I'll be using the following promarkers; Sandstone, Cinnamon, Cocoa and Umber. (I have also used Vanilla for the mane and tail which is not pictured)

The first thing I do is to imagine where the lightest bits would be, this is the bit that most people fin the most difficult to imagine. The easiest way to do it is probably to do an image search of horses on the internet. This is one that I found - it might look awfully complicated - but if you almost close your eyes, so that you are looking through your eyelashes, it is easier to see where the light and dark areas are.

So I have started with the lightest areas and very roughly coloured these areas with Sandstone

Then I take a small section at a time and colour the remaining white bits with Cinnamon. Then blended using the Sandstone in small circular movements.

Next I take the Cocoa promarker and using small strokes, colour the darker areas. Then blend with Sandstone

The I repeat the above 2 steps (with the cinnamon, then cocoa) for each of the other small sections

I took the Umber promarker and added tiny shading to the darkest areas - the furthest away hind leg, and the back of the other three legs, and the shadow behind his jaw then blended with the Sandstone again.

Then I moved onto his mane and tail. I coloured the areas that I imagined would be hit by the light source with Vanilla.

Then used Sandstone to colour the rest of the mane and tail and blended with the Vanilla

I kept adding more layers of Sandstone and blending with Vanilla until i was happy with the effect

And this is the completed image made into a card

******************
Hope you have enjoyed this weeks workshop, don’t forget if you want to join in and put a tutorial on, please contact me here
Hugs Gina, Denise and the DT xxx

14 comments:

Brocéliane said...

wow wow wow TFS :)

Ali Watson said...

Sensational tutorial, thanks for sharing.

Suzanne said...

Debbi your tutorial is just fabulous and Gina your storage looks great (how far did you tavel to get one?)Hugs Sue :o)

Tarja said...

Absolutely fabilous tutoring! So beatyful horse. Like storage for pens are great.

Hugs from Finland :)

Annie said...

The storage idea is superb - love the horse - please could I ask what IQ smooth card is please and where can I buy it?

Ann xxx

Unknown said...

I love these tutorials they are fantastic. All I need know is the promarkers to go with them and I'd be well away!! LOL
Hugz
Dawn xx

DawnMarie said...

Gosh you make it look so easy, do you think that the key is having all the promarkers to do the correct shading?? I struggle with colouring.

jackiescrafts said...

This looks so easy when you do it but it never looks as good when I try, I need more pens and more practice I guess
Thanks for sharing
hugs Jackie x

Squirrel x said...

Thank you sooooo much for a fabulous tutorial - judging the lighest parts is hard but now I understand the theory of how to make it easier. Now I just need to practice! Thanks again, Squirrel xx

Sarah said...

Fab tutorial and fantastic idea for storage. Just got some mesh drawers for mine, but love this idea.

Sarah x

Anne said...

Rousing cheer from me!!! The storage is ingenious and exactly what I need so Thank You so much for that! And the horse is just stunning - gorgeous shading!! TFS! :o) xx

NikkiM said...

Beauuuuutiful job! WOW!

Shelly said...

What a fab tutorial, the colouring process is so well explained, I'll have to have a go at this now! Thanks for the help! Hugs Shelly x

Dirty angel said...

Going back through these tutorials for inspiration. WOW loving this one